Tuesday, December 10, 2013

A Good Question

I came across an interesting question recently that caused me to do some heart-searching.

Here it is: Do people miss me when I leave the room?

That led me to ask myself some other questions, like, what kind of people do I miss when they leave the room?
Here are some of the types of people I miss:

People who are peacemakers. These people seem to have the ability to pour oil on troubled waters. Instead of escalating conflicts, they bring harmony and calmness. Gentle people who bring sweetness to the situation.
A lovely fragrance seems to linger in the wake of these people. They encourage and affirm us and help us to aspire to be better.

People who bring leadership. I have had a boss is like that. He knew how to gives the staff direction and a sense that everything is under control. Instead of concentrating on problems, he seemed to thrive on finding creative solutions. People who bring constructive criticism and new ideas. Even though we might find these ideas uncomfortable, we know we need to hear them out. They make us think deeply.

People who are followers. Leaders are great, but we also need followers. These are the people we can count on to quietly get the job done. They do not ask to be in the limelight; they do not really ask to be noticed; they are content to serve God in the background.
It is a good idea to acknowledge these quiet workers though, and thank them for their service.

Maybe you can see yourself in these different categories.
I want to be missed when I leave the room. I hope you want that, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment