Friday, December 6, 2013

A Missionary at Last

When I became a Christian at about 12 years old, I told God I wanted to serve Him all my life. In my mind that meant being a missionary, probably in a foreign land. I made several attempts, but in spite of my best efforts, something always got in the way - health, wealth (or lack thereof), family obligations, life circumstances.

So I just tried to bloom wherever I was planted. As a matter of fact I was translated many, many times through the years.

I even whispered at one low point, "Lord, I gave you my life. Don't you want my service?"

I felt sheepish for complaining, but I wanted to do more and my sphere of influence seemed to be so small, so limited,. especially compared to others. Compared to others? Oops - now I had to confess envy and jealousy So I did the I John 1:9 thing - I acknowledged my sin and accepted God's forgiveness.

I was soon to learn one of God's paradoxes - the way up is down. In the providence of God, I spent some time in the fiery furnace, and I learned that the furnace can be a lovely, purifying experience when the Son of God is right there in the furnace with me. And even in the furnace, my heart began to overflow with joy. To my delight, ministry opportunities began to increase

About that time I came across a quote from missionary statesman Dick Hillis. "Every heart without Christ is a mission field; every heart with Christ is a missionary." Those words gave me heart's ease. I could stop striving to be a missionary and thank God that I am one.

What is my mission? To show forth the love of the Lord Jesus Christ. I am a flawed earthen vessel - with fissures and cracks and holes. All the better to let Jesus, the light of the world, shine forth. Al the better to let the perfume, the very fragrance of Jesus waft through the air. And my mission field is all around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment