Monday, January 6, 2014

Time Marches On

2014 is here. I notice that as my years advance, some changes take place. My body doesn't work like it used to. I am slower, less sure-footed. (I'm well into my 80's now.)

I have been blessed with a very good memory over the years, and I do a lot of memorizing - Scripture, poetry, quotations, etc. I am finding though, that retrieval time is getting longer. Bible verses that I could rattle off easily now have gaps. A word or a phrase is missing. Do I look it up? No! My mind teases and teases and finally the elusive word or phrase pops into its proper place like an errant child who shows up late for class.

Is this humbling? You betcha it is. But it's funny about the humility thing. It makes me more sensitive, and I hope more loving and understanding to others who might be struggling with their own challenges.

It draws me closer to God - after all, "He gives grace to the humble." And it makes me more transparent. I mean, He's the One who invented this old age bit, so if the faltering steps and the recalcitrant memory are part of His plan for me and He loves me anyway, then I don't have to hide my weaknesses from anyone else. That takes me back to Romans 8:28, "We know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them that are called according to His purpose." My job is to keep trusting Him and praising Him and being grateful for each new day (and each new year) that He gives me.

No comments:

Post a Comment